The 2022-23 tour
This year’s tour of embroidered work features several pieces of textile work, hand-embroidered by artist Francesca Rea. The centrepiece is a plain white man’s secondhand cotton shirt, onto the front of which she has embroidered a pair of glowing Echinacea flowers.
There are also examples of others of her work:
– Purple Clover Queen Anne’s Lace: lettering on organdie (29 x 17cm)
– Wildflowers: traditional-style embroidery on cotton, stretched on a wooden hoop (16cm diameter)
– Also embroiderer’s scissors with a stork’s head and neck, a skein of cotton embroidery thread, and one of Francesca’s heat erasable pens which removes under-drawing when the fabric is ironed (see embroidery in one of the drawers).
In the two drawers of the second pod are examples of embroidery showing Francesca’s process, and also her endeavours to make her art as low impact on the planet as possible.
– One shows Floral borders, stitched in parallel and one left unfinished, so you can see her pen under-drawing on the cotton/bamboo fabric (17 x 12cm).
– The other drawer shows an embroidery of an eye and eyebrow, stitched using reused plastic netting on cotton/bamboo (11 x 11cm).
Craft Pods’ tour 2022-23
The pods will tour to a variety of public and non-public spaces in Fife from late Summer 2022 to 2023.
15 Sep – 18 Oct ’22 – Falkland Estate, The Stables, KY15 7AF
20 Oct – 22 Nov | The Hive, 10 Whytescauseway, Kirkcaldy, KY1 1XF
24 Nov – 7 Dec | St Andrews Botanic Gardens, Canongate, St Andrews KY16 8RT
9 Dec ’22 – 11 Jan ’23 | Cowdenbeath Library
13 Jan – 24 Jan | Glenrothes High School
26 Jan – 7 Feb | Bell Baxter High School
9 Feb – 14 Mar | Ecology Centre, Kinghorn
16 Mar – 28 Mar | Madras College, St Andrews
30 Mar – 2 May | Leven Library
4 May – 16 May | Levenmouth Academy
18 May – 30 May | Woodmill High School
1 June – 4 Jul | Methil Library
6 Jul – 8 Aug | Dalgety Bay Library
10 Aug – 12 Sept | Inverkeithing Library
*Please note that the Craft Pods are not viewable to the public when situated within any of the School or College campuses.