We felt it was important to give brief details about the history of two important monuments on Falkland Estate. The Trail of Thought is inspired by the Temple of Decision. One of its two creators, Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce, is commemorated by the Tyndall Bruce Monument. Text © Falkland Estate
The Temple of Decision was designed by Alexander Roos in 1849 and built by George Page, a local mason. Roos also designed the Falkland village fountain. The Temple was built for the wealthy estate owners, Margaret and Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce as a summerhouse with
spectacular views. It was built as a focal point in the landscape and could be viewed from the principal rooms in the House of Falkland. It is possible that it is a rare surviving example of a garden temple in Scotland. The plan of the Temple was derived from the Temple of Theseus in Athens and comprised a single room with a prostyle portico and Roman pediment. Sadly the Temple has fallen in to disrepair over the years; but the ruin was consolidated in 2016 thanks to funding through the Living Lomonds’ Landscape Partnership.
The Tyndall Bruce Monument commemorates Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce, the Laird of Falkland Estate, who died in 1855. Onesiphorus married the wealthy heiress of Falkland Estate,
Margaret Stuart Bruce in 1818.
They commissioned the build of the House of Falkland as their new country home and the nearby Temple of Decision. As well as funding Falkland’s parish church and fountain, they were renowned for their charitable giving and played an active part in Fife society and politics. The Tyndall Bruce Monument stands on the Black Hill looking over Falkland Estate and the lands which were once in the care of this wealthy couple. Thanks to funding through the Living Lomonds’ Landscape Partnership, the monument was restored in 2015.