11 Sept – 31 Oct 2010 – FCA&C @ St Andrews Museum (Kinburn Park, Doubledykes Road, St Andrews, KY16 9DP, tel 01334 659380; open daily April to September 10am to 5pm, October to March 10.30am to 4pm, admission free)
Featuring international craft and sculpture, the exhibition looks at how art objects may reference functional things but subvert function through ambiguity of use and meaning. The artist / makers have used unusual materials and techniques to create unique pieces – expect the unexpected. Ceramics from Johannes Nagel, Susanne Petzold, Richard Slee; jewellery & metalwork by Shari Pierce, Estela Saez Vilanova, Hans Stofer and sculpture by Claire Barclay, Siobhan Hapaska, Jane Simpson.
The exhibition has been curated by artist Claire Barclay for Fife Contemporary Art & Craft and has been supported by a craft development grant from the Scottish Arts Council.
A free one day symposium which explores some of the themes in the exhibition will be held in St Andrews on Saturday 2 October 2010. It will combine a unique opportunity for attenders to hear talks by Jane Simpson and Richard Slee, take part in a panel discussion with various of the participating artists, and take part in an optional pewter casting workshop with Roddy Mathieson’s Alchemy mobile foundry with networking opportunities. The event will take place at St Andrews Museum moving later to the Gateway Building. Bookings have to be received by FCA&C by Friday 24 September 2010.
Click here to download a booking form [421KB]
For a full description of the exhibition, please go to our News section (downloadable PR also available there).
- Sat 18 Sept, 11-1, Ceramics with Gavin Burnett (for adults – 16 years+), cost £5
- Sat 25 Sept, 11-1, Jewellery with Jane Gowans/Hannah Livingston (for adults – 16 years+), cost £5
- Sat 9 Oct, 11-1, Sculpture with Marion Smith (for adults – 16 years+), cost £5
- Tues 19 Oct, 11-1, Ceramics with Gavin Burnett (for kids – 8-12 years), FREE
- Sat 23 Oct, 11-1, Jewellery with Jane Gowans/Hannah Livingston (for kids – 8-12 years), FREE
- Thur 28 Oct, 11-1, Sculpture with Marion Smith (for kids – 8-12 years), FREE
All bookings (and payment for adult workshops) to be made at St Andrews Museum (tel 01334 659380).
Click here to download an adults’ info and booking form [118KB]
Click hereto download a kids’ info and booking form [115KB]
FREE Exhibition Tour:
Join exhibition curator and artist Claire Barclay and FCA&C’s Diana Sykes for this informal tour of the exhibition on Sun 10 Oct, 2pm.