Much of my work represents markers of conflict – silent messages that may elicit a feeling of melancholia or disquiet.
These works are made with concerns for exploring the potential of the materials and the process – the chemical bond of glass on metal. It is the inherent qualities of this material that attracts me at a sensory and aesthetic level.
1999-2003 – AHRB Three year Fellowship in the Creative & Performing Arts Fellowship based at the Centre for Fine Print Research, UWE Bristol.
1996 – 2013 Co Owner, Studio Fusion Gallery, Unit 1:06 Oxo Tower Wharf Bargehouse Street London SE1 9PH. Studio Fusion Gallery is the first applied arts gallery in the UK specialising in a contemporary approach to enamel.
1974 – 2011 Senior Research Fellow, University of the West of England, Vitreous Enamel – Research
2001 – Visiting Artist for The Enamelist Society India . Workshop at the Crafts Museum Delhi, India.
Workshop for Public Artists, Bellevue Community College, Seatte WA USA
1998 – Visiting Artist: Sanskriti Kendra, New Delhi, India Lectures: National Museum of Modern Art. New Delhi / Sir JJ School of Art, Bombay. Sponsored by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations.
1990 – Towson State University, Maryland, USA, Spring Semester
1988 – Visiting Tutor Enamelling Programme, San Diego State University, Spring Semester.
1987-2000 – Bristol Polytechnic until 1992 then became University of the West of England; Visiting Tutor: Foundation / BA (Hons) Ceramics / MA Print.
1974-2000 – School of Art and Design, Bristol Polytechnic, then became Filton College 1990; Associate Lecturer 0.6: Enamelling, Foundation 3D and Surface Design.
2001 – Contemporary Print in Enamel School of Art Gallery, Kent State University March 2001, then travelling: East Carolina University and Cleveland Institute of Art, Ohio
2000/1 – Colour & Light Indian Enamel Exhibition 2001. Crafts Museum, New Delhi.
Exhibition coordinator with Harlan W Butt, University of North Texas USA. Contributor to catalogue.
2000 – International Enamel Symposium 2000 UWE Bristol Symposium and Workshop coordinator
1999 – Alastair Gill Gallery British Society of Enamellers 1992 – The Bristol Connection, Smiths Gallery London 1992
1999 – Print in Enamel Part 1 & 2 Studio Fusion, Oxo Tower Wharf South Bank London and IMPACT: International Multi-disciplinary Printmaking Conference UWE 1999
1995 – Co-ordinator(Art) with Dr Matthew Holley (Science) Dept of Physiology, Bristol University.
Look Hear Exhibition Gallery Two 10 Wellcome Trust. Travelled until 1999. Now at Filton College.
1996-97 – Fusion: Enamel as a Creative Medium, Bristol City Museum and Art Gallery.
1992 – With Dr F Smith Kent State University. OH, USA. British Society of Enamellers at Eells Gallery
– Northern Californian Enamel Guild Juried Show, The Richmond Art Centre CA USA
– Invited: 36th Int Enamelling Art Ex: Japan Enamelling Artist Ass. Royal Ueno Museum. Tokyo
– Metal Under Glass: A Collection of Contemporary Metal and Enamel Work. (Invitational, catalogue), Southwest Missouri State University, Springfield Missouri, USA; National Ornamental Metal Museum, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
– Color and Reflection: Enamelist Society Juried Ex. Arrowmont Sch of Arts and Crafts, TN USA (Catalogue)
– International Quartet: Robert Ebendorf and Deborah Lozier USA Jane Short and Elizabeth Turrell, UK, Studio Fusion Oxo Tower Wharf London.
– Influential Faculty at Arrowmont. The Trout Gallery, Dickenson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA
– Feat of Clay. UWE Exhibition at the V&A Museum London
– Bilston Enamel Collection & Contemporary Enamel Artists. Bilston Craft Gallery and Museum.
– Contemporary Print in Enamel (Curator and catalogue editor), School of Art Gallery, Kent State University, Ohio USA
– Print on Ceramic-Artists’ Mugs ‘Get Mugged’, Manhattan Graphic Centre, New York USA; Studio Fusion Oxo Tower Wharf, London; AKI Academy of Visual Arts and Design Enschede, Netherlands
– The Centre for Fine Print Research at CADE Glasgow School of Art
– Digital Print, Traditional Print: A Survey of Photomechanical Print
– The First International Miniature Print Show; exhibition at 30 venues in March 2001 and at the Southern Graphic Council Conference, Austin, USA
– Colour and Light. International Enamel Exhibition (Invitational, catalogue), Craft Museum New Delhi India and National Gallery of Modern Art Bombay (Mumbia) India
– ‘Fired with Colour’ An exhibition of Contemporary and 20th Century Enamelling, National Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh.
2001 – Surface Design Group
1999 – Member of the Working Group: The Future of Craft Education and the Crafts. USA
1993-97 – British Society of Enamellers: Chairperson. 1988- Member Selection Committee. 1987-98 Executive.
1993-99 – Trustee: Enamelist Society, USA. International Committee. Enamelist Society USA
1991 – The Large Scale Enamelling Foundation Advisory Board. Kent State University, Ohio, USA.
2002 – CATALIS Public Art Project, Emerson Green Library Control Desk, South Gloucestershire Council
Contributor to Tree of Life Exhibition. To be exhibited in primary health care centres in Summer 2002 Coordinator Dr Geoffrey Farrer-Brown
1999-2002 – Book for A&C Black on Contemporary Enamelling
1999-2001 – Coordinator / Artist for Bristol Royal Hospital for Children: Commission for Significant and Major Donors Recognition plaques in enamel for The Grand Appeal.
1999 – National Library of Women – The New Fawcett Library. Guildhall University. London.
Produced 2 Commemorative pieces for the new building
2001 – National Museum of Scotland. Edinburgh.
1992 – Goldsmith and Enamel Museum. Vilnius Lithuania.
1999 – Crafts Council Index of Selected Makers 1987 – Porcelain jewellery selected by Design Council, London 1987
1998 – sponsored by the Indian Council of Cultural Relations/ Sanskriti Kendra. / Delhi Craft Council to teach a workshop at Sanskriti, Delhi.
1996 – 9th Int Exh of Enamelling Art of Japan. Award
1988 – 8th Biennale International L’Art de L’Email Limoges, France. Prize for Metal and Enamel
1987 – International Exhibition of Enamelling Royal Ueno Museum, Tokyo, Japan. Chairman’s Prize for Excellence
1995 – Feature Look Hear Exhibition, Woman’s Hour BBC
1988 – Programme 12 of Makers HTV