Drawing is at the centre of all my work; I don’t work with any specific technique as I prefer to work with a variety of media to express my ideas and concerns in the most appropriate way. Although it is not always obvious a narrative is always there, this is as a consequence of being curious about people, their stories and the connections we all have.
When other people have described my work they say it is to do with; Line~ whether stitched, cut, drawn or written; Layers; gentle humour.
When I have to describe how I work I would say:- Loves people and their stories; pays attention to detail; is an organiser; enjoys the challenges of the client’s brief; watching students develop their talent.
INCAHOOTS was set up in 1986, and in June 2017 I celebrated 30 years of being Incahoots with myself!
Clients include:- The Glasshouse hotel, Edinburgh; Woodmansterne Publications Ltd;
Gleneagles health spa, Gleneagles; House for an art lover Glasgow; Church of Scotland; British Airways; Royal Society of Architects Scotland; BBC Scotland
Off the Rails Arthouse. I am the Chair of the steering group responsible for the development of a Community Art space on Platform 2 at Ladybank Station. In this space we run classes, workshops and masterclasses. It is also a gallery space and the venue for ‘Platform’ a bi monthly poetry and writing group.
1983 Glasgow School of Art, Postgraduate Diploma
1982 Glasgow School of Art, BA Hons Art & Design, embroidered & woven textiles
- Present Children’s picture book – illustrating & writing
- Incahoots Diffusion – illustrated scraperboard print collection of 16 prints
- Professional assessor for the Dewar Arts Awards
- 2003-06 Scottish Arts Council, specialist advisor
- 1995-present One 67 on the road workshops – tutor & organisation of workshops
- 1994-2017 Dundee College – studio tutor, folio preparation, HND stitched textiles for Fashion
- 1986-present Incahoots – set up textile design company specialising in design for print & embroidery
- 1990-93 Payne-Heminsley Design – set up agency for Scottish based textile designers, selling internationally
- 1985-99 Glasgow School of Art, studio tutor and lecturer
- 1985-94 Cumbria College of Art & Design, lecturer and studio
Selected Small Group & Solo Exhibitions
- 2017-18 ‘Objects of Celebration’, The Studio Pavilion, House for an Art Lover, Glasgow
- 2006 ‘Sense of Identity’, contemporary Scottish textiles, Itami, Japan
- 2005/06/07 Visual Arts Scotland annual exhibition, RSA, Edinburgh
- 2004 ‘Hats & Gloves’, City Gallery, Leicester, & McManus Gallery, Dundee
- Scottish Gallery, Edinburgh, & MADE, Bristol
- Bluecoat Display Centre, Liverpool
- 2002 ‘Archive, Artifice, Artifact’, Glasgow School of Art & Budapest
- 2000 ‘In the raw…new work from six textile designers’, Collins Gallery, Glasgow
- 1997 & 98 Artisan, contemporary crafts festival, Edinburgh
- 1997 ‘It’s a wonderful life’, Open Eye Gallery, Edinburgh
- 1987-93 Trade fairs in London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt & New York
ALSO Numerous group exhibitions within the UK
- 2008, 2010 and 2016 VACMA Fife (Creative Scotland/Fife Council)
- 2003 Visual Arts Scotland, prizes, RSA – Scottish Gallery Applied Art Prize & SSWA Special Prize
- 2002 Scottish Arts Council, for individual development
- 1995 Scottish Arts Council, for individual development
Website – http://www.incahoots.org.uk